Travel | Madrid in two days


Hello there and welcome to Madrid!

If somehow you follow me on social media, you might know that at the beginning of January I happened to travel to Spain and Portugal (and I instagrammed a lot, really). To be honest, I've never dreamed much about visiting any of these countries (and oh, was I wrong!). Madrid has always been a city somewhere far far away (especially when you live in very east Europe), and all I knew about it from my geography classes was that it was the capital of Spain.
But you know, sometimes things that you don't expect to happen, actually happen. And here I am, for a couple of days in beautiful Madrid, in more than 4000 kilometres from home.


Of course it's impossible to see everything in two days, so here's a small guide on what to see and where to go in a couple of days if you make it to Madrid once. Or you can just wander the city, cause it also sounds like a great plan.

Puerta del Sol

Basically, it's one of the best-known squares of the city with that famous statue of a bear, which is a symbol of Madrid. Lots of shops, people, cafes, street artists. Another famous spot here is the kilometer zero near the House of the Post office. You can step on it and make a wish :)



Park El Retiro

If you don't feel like walking and sneaking through crowds of people, park is always a good idea. Although Buen Retiro is quite popular among both tourists and locals, it is really huge, so I guess it's enough place to get rest and relax for everyone. It's actually such a big territory that you literally go in there and get lost, all you have to do now is just walk and walk and stare at wonderful fountains and statues around every corner.


But I think I won't lie if I say that one of the most popular spots there is the Fountain of the Fallen Angel. Curious fact: this statue is known as the one dedicated to the devil and stands at 666 meters above sea level.



Also, don't forget to take a look at those pretty buildings near the park.

Zoo and Aquarium de Madrid

I must say that I'm not a big fan of zoo parks for some reason. But this one... oh, honestly I didn't regret spending 20 euros on it at all. Everything is so beautifully decorated, starting from the entrance and finishing animals' paddocks.


It's also a huge park where you can relax and spend a really good time. You literally would need a good few hours to walk it all.


Plaza de España

Honestly, to me, it's one of these places where you go just to put "checked" on the list of things-you-have-to-see-because-everyone-goes-there. Although if you like Miguel de Cervantes' novels or Don Quixote in particular, you may want to visit it and take a picture near the monument. And if you don't, just put your head up and look at these tall huge buildings (like I did).


Royal Palace

I absolutely fell in love with this place. I mean, isn't it gorgeous? I'm pretty sure it's even more beautiful in summer when everything around blossoms and fountains work. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time to go inside, but I enjoyed every second spent in a park near this amazing palace.


For sure I'll get back here if I'm ever again in Madrid. And if you're planning your visit (you should!), here's the official site.


Madrid at night

I bet everyone knows that kind of special feeling and charm of walking through the night city full of lights, absolutely different energy and music from windows of small restaurants. I just couldn't not to mention it. Like any other city, Madrid changes its image at night, and of course, it's worth seeing (and walking and having paella in one of those small restaurants where nobody speaks English).


Shopping on Gran Via

Here's a thing: I'm a shopaholic sometimes I do love some good shopping :) And I'm pretty sure that Gran Via is a perfect location for it if you're in the centre of Madrid and want to spend some money (treat yo'self, yep). Zara, Primark, H&M, a couple of Starbucks' on Gran Via itself and The Body Shop, Sephora, Lush and Apple Store (just in case) near, it's just the ones I could remember.

Museums

The last but not least point in my little list is Museums. It's the last one just because not everyone would like to spend a few hours in museums (and queues) when in Madrid only for a couple of days.
But still, if you're into it - then why not? Especially when Madrid is famous for it's museums. And even more especially when you can get there for free. 
Some museums such as Reina Sofia or Prado Museum have free entrance by the end of a day. Here's the list of museums of Madrid. 


Helpful links:


And here is it! As always, hope it's helpful somehow, or at least you enjoyed some photos.

Have you ever been to Madrid or any other Spanish city?
xx, D
[ Create an account and get $26 off your first Airbnb trip here! (Works only for new Airbnb users) ] *affiliate

Instagram