5 things I realized after moving to another country


Hi there! 
As you may know, if you've seen some of my previous posts, moving and trying to fit in a different culture has been a significant part of my life for the last one and a half years. The idea of this post hit me when I was thinking about how my life has changed and how it affected me and my views on, well basically, everything. So here are 5 things that I realized after moving to the Czech Republic. 

1. I knew nothing about leaving my comfort zone before
Sometimes it feels like I’m actually permanently living out of my comfort zone. Like you know, always trying to speak the language even if you’re not sure if the sounds you’re creating make any sense for natives. Annoying people you don’t know because you need something and asking yourself if it's not too much. Those people seem friendly. Will they understand me? Would they judge me because I’m not from here?
Going to school and making assignments, hoping that the professor wouldn’t think you’re completely dumb.
Going to places and seeing new people, not knowing how things work. New coffee place? Can I pay there with a card? Do I pay to the waiter or at the bar? Oh no, I’d rather go to McDonald's where I don’t have to talk to anyone to make an order.
What did that lady at the cash desk say that I didn’t get and rudely ignored her? I’m just gonna overthink it tonight. And tomorrow. And maybe for the whole next month. 
Going to municipal places to solve some issues or pay taxes? Gosh, I’m sweating to death.
And those are all the little things that add up to one another and you’re just not feeling comfortable. Gotta admit, it gets better as you get used to things, but I am still mostly out of my bubble. Which is actually a good thing, but also quite exhausting. 

2. Things get really really tough sometimes
They just do. You may miss your family and friends, your “normal” way of life that you used to have. Sometimes it gets really depressing, making it hard to keep up and keep going.
But as I mentioned earlier things just add up and stress level grows. It is hard particularly because you don't have control over things anymore. If something happens back home, there is nothing you can do about it. One day something really upset may come up and that would trigger a massive meltdown. And, maybe, at this exact moment, you’d think that it’s time to leave, just go home. But as obvious as it sounds, there is nothing else you can do but keep going. 

3. The world is wider than it seems, acceptance is the key
Getting to know people and cultures while traveling is great. However, it is quite a new level when you move somewhere and trying to assimilate and live in another culture.
We’re lucky to live in the age of globalization when there can be hundreds of cultures and communities living in the same country. When you move somewhere, you’ll more likely meet expats from other countries. Those people also bring a part of their cultures with them. You have a chance to meet a bunch of wonderful people with their own habits. And that's when you have to keep an open mind. To be honest, I don’t know how else you can live in this modern world. Yes, some things are very different and may be hard to understand sometimes. But people are different and that’s great.


4. People are actually fine
Now, let's be honest. One of my negative sides is underestimating people. I often choose to go alone, to do things by myself because it's easier and I don't think someone would do it better than me. This is something I've been working on lately. With meeting new people and making new friends I happened to realize that underestimating someone is one of my biggest mistakes. People are good. And once you find the right ones to surround you, life gets so much better.

5. Surprisingly... I can do things!
Turned out I am more capable than I thought. I can take care of myself, solve things I never thought I'll be solving. Most of the things I have to do here are the ones I've never done in my motherland (including cooking :)). It used to scare the hell out of me, just the thought of it. And I'm quite proud that now it's getting better. 


That's it! I mean, I could think of other things, some of them are not that positive. But I want to finish it here, and now over to you:
Have you ever lived in a different country? Are you an expat? Share your story :)

Instagram